Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 3:51 pm
Stepfan Taylor ready to get to work for the Cardinals
"I think I'm a complete back," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "I try to take pride in being able to have as many weapons as possible.
"I just want to find a way on the field."
Taylor, who left Stanford as the school's all-time rushing leader, will likely start camp penciled in behind free agent acquisition Rashard Mendenhall and third-year pro Ryan Williams. However, both Mendenhall and Williams have extensive injury histories, and there is not much proven depth behind those two.
So, it's very possible the 140th pick in the draft will find his way onto the field in his rookie season.
Taylor ran for a career-best 1,530 yards as a senior while catching 41 passes for 287 yards. He tallied 13 rushing touchdowns and another two as a receiver, and is known to be a good blocker, too. It's that well-rounded game that drew the Cardinals to him, and it's precisely the reason some view him as a player who could make an impact in 2013.
Taylor, who said he may very well start out on special teams, says he will definitely come into the season with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. However, he said the draft is now a thing of the past, and from here everyone is in the same boat with regards to having to make the team.
That's why, regardless of where he may have thought he deserved to go -- or where he thought he would go -- at this point the only thing that matters is he does all he can to earn and keep a roster spot.
"You want that foot in the door, and once you get in you've got to work and compete," he said. "Players across the world want to be in this position, and they're going to take it from you. You've got to be ready for that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.