Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:24 am
Cardinals use seventh-round pick on Rutgers TE D.C. Jefferson
General manager Steve Keim used the the Cardinals' seventh-round selection on Rutgers tight end D.C. Jefferson.
In four years at Rutgers, Jefferson, considered to be primarily a blocking tight end, caught 47 passes for 560 yards and two touchdowns. The 6-foot-6 tight end recorded a career-high 20 catches and 168 receiving yards during his senior season.
D.C. was a nickname Jefferson was given growing up and stands for former NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The new Cardinals tight end was actually a quarterback coming out of high school in Winter Haven, Florida.
"When I step on the line as a tight end, I'm a quarterback in mindset," Jefferson said. "I take control...and it's do or die every time the ball is snapped."
In addition to his versatility, it seems Jefferson also has a sense of humor. When asked by a member of the media during his conference call if he expected to be drafted, the Rutgers tight end responded confidently.
"I expected to be the first player taken in the first round," said Jefferson. "But, it didn't work out that way."
Jefferson was briefly hospitalized back in February after suffering a pectoral injury during the bench press portion of the 2013 NFL Combine.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!