Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:24 am
Cardinals use seventh-round pick on Rutgers TE D.C. Jefferson
General manager Steve Keim used the the Cardinals' seventh-round selection on Rutgers tight end D.C. Jefferson.
In four years at Rutgers, Jefferson, considered to be primarily a blocking tight end, caught 47 passes for 560 yards and two touchdowns. The 6-foot-6 tight end recorded a career-high 20 catches and 168 receiving yards during his senior season.
D.C. was a nickname Jefferson was given growing up and stands for former NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The new Cardinals tight end was actually a quarterback coming out of high school in Winter Haven, Florida.
"When I step on the line as a tight end, I'm a quarterback in mindset," Jefferson said. "I take control...and it's do or die every time the ball is snapped."
In addition to his versatility, it seems Jefferson also has a sense of humor. When asked by a member of the media during his conference call if he expected to be drafted, the Rutgers tight end responded confidently.
"I expected to be the first player taken in the first round," said Jefferson. "But, it didn't work out that way."
Jefferson was briefly hospitalized back in February after suffering a pectoral injury during the bench press portion of the 2013 NFL Combine.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?