Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:24 am
Cardinals use seventh-round pick on Rutgers TE D.C. Jefferson
General manager Steve Keim used the the Cardinals' seventh-round selection on Rutgers tight end D.C. Jefferson.
In four years at Rutgers, Jefferson, considered to be primarily a blocking tight end, caught 47 passes for 560 yards and two touchdowns. The 6-foot-6 tight end recorded a career-high 20 catches and 168 receiving yards during his senior season.
D.C. was a nickname Jefferson was given growing up and stands for former NFL quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The new Cardinals tight end was actually a quarterback coming out of high school in Winter Haven, Florida.
"When I step on the line as a tight end, I'm a quarterback in mindset," Jefferson said. "I take control...and it's do or die every time the ball is snapped."
In addition to his versatility, it seems Jefferson also has a sense of humor. When asked by a member of the media during his conference call if he expected to be drafted, the Rutgers tight end responded confidently.
"I expected to be the first player taken in the first round," said Jefferson. "But, it didn't work out that way."
Jefferson was briefly hospitalized back in February after suffering a pectoral injury during the bench press portion of the 2013 NFL Combine.
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.