Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 12:22 am
Cardinals use first of two sixth rounds picks on Texas A&M's Ryan Swope
In 2011, the 6-foot-1 wideout broke program records for receptions (89) and receiving yards (1,207) in a season. For his efforts, Swope was named to the second team All-Big-12.
In 2012, Swope adjusted nicely to new head coach Kevin Sumlin's up-tempo offense. The Austin native caught 72 passes for 913 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Swope's stock may have fallen in part because of his past medical history with head injuries. At College Station, he reportedly suffered four concussions.
Still, the newest Cardinal said he feels just fine.
"I feel 100 percent right now," Swope said in a conference call Saturday. "I've had a few minor head injuries, but never missed a game. I feel great and I'm blessed to be an Arizona Cardinal. It's just a great opportunity."
The Aggies wide receiver received plenty of attention at the 2013 NFL Combine after he ran an impressive 4.34 in the 40-yard dash. Swope was the second straight offensive skill player to be taken by the Cardinals Saturday.
He admitted that the opportunity to work with one of the greatest wideouts in the game, Larry Fitzgerald, is one he can't wait to have.
"It's a dream come true," said Swope. "I grew up watching him play. He's an incredible player and I'm anxious to meet him and see what he brings. He's such a talented receiver, and I'm excited to see him on the field and to meet a guy like that."
The feeling appears to be mutual.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b