Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 6:23 pm
Cardinals select Tyrann Mathieu with third round pick
At No. 45, the team chose to add to their defense with the choice of LSU inside linebacker Kevin Minter.
And at No. 69, Arizona decided to look again to the defense, with the selection of Tyrann Mathieu.
An emotional Mathieu told ESPN, "I'm proud to be an Arizona Cardinal" shortly after being selected.
Known as "the Honey Badger," Mathieu is an electrifying defensive back who has had some off the field troubles.
As he told ESPN, that should not be a problem going forward.
Tyrann Mathieu just said on air that he has agreed to take a weekly drug test with the Cardinals— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) April 27, 2013
Mathieu, who stands in at 5-foot-9 and 186-pounds, won the 2011 Bednarik Award, which is given to the nation's best defender, and was a first-team All-SEC selection, too. However, he was dismissed from the LSU team in August 2012 after violating multiple team rules, and has been working to find his way into the NFL ever since.
Mathieu is a former LSU teammate of Cardinals second round pick Kevin Minter as well as current Cardinal defensive back Patrick Peterson, the latter of whom was working out with the player over the last few months.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.