Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 5:39 pm
New Cardinals LB Kevin Minter: 'I want to make every tackle'
However, GM Steve Keim engineered a deal in which the Cardinals traded that pick to the San Diego Chargers for the 45th selection and an additional fourth round pick.
The Chargers selected infamous linebacker Manti Te'o from Notre Dame in the spot they moved into following the swap.
The Cardinals followed suit and picked a linebacker of their own -- Kevin Minter of LSU.
"I'm a very passionate player," Minter told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "I'll go out there with an attitude. I want to make every tackle, regardless if it's downfield or in front of me.
"I'm an all-around linebacker. I'm good in pass drops, I'm good in man-to-man, but I'm really a run-stopper and I feel like I can bring a lot to the Arizona organization."
Minter had 130 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss and four sacks for a stingy LSU defense that was ninth in the nation against the run in 2012, allowing 101.68 yards per game. The Georgia native was a Butkus Award finalist and doesn't lack for confidence on the football field.
"My only weakness is my experience. I'm a rookie so I've got to get in there and get my feet wet," Minter said. "The sky's the limit for me, I feel like I can really contribute to this team."
The 6-foot-2, 245-pound linebacker played three seasons at LSU, including 2010 when he was part of a defense that featured cornerback Patrick Peterson. The two will again be teammates, this time at the professional level.
"Coming in, he was the man...it was Pat," Minter recalled. "You thought what he did in the games was amazing, you should have seen him in practice.
"He was like a big brother, he was a guy you look up to. I'm thrilled to be on the same team as him again."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd named to Sports Illustrated's All-Breakout Team
- Panel ranks Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians as the NFL's 13th-best head coach
- The Pulse: Most fans not very concerned with the Arizona Cardinals' preseason loss to the Cincinnati Bengals
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.