Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 4:31 pm
ESPN analyst: It was between Cooper and Warmack
But taking a chance on the Tar Heel wasn't an easy decision for the Cardinals.
According to ESPN college football analyst Mark May, the selection came down to picking between Cooper and Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack.
"It was going to be one of those two players, so there wasn't a lot of pressure in making a pick as much as there was in making the decision between whom you like more," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
May said at the end of the day, Cooper had more to offer in terms of satisfying Arizona's specific needs.
"I think Cooper is a little more athletic; Warmack is more of a road grinder," he said. "Cooper can get out in space and make things happen when you're in a hurry on quick screens; he's the type of athlete that can do it.
"He's a very mature guy, stayed four years and a very smart guy; he was on the dean's list. So this was almost a can't-miss, safe pick for the Arizona Cardinals. It's a need filler, it's something they need to fill and they got their player."
No matter which of the guards the Redbirds ultimately went with, the team could not have gone wrong, the analyst said.
"I thought either or could come in and start for this football team and do extremely well as long as they stayed healthy," May said. "I'd love to have both of them on my team."
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.