Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 4:31 pm
ESPN analyst: It was between Cooper and Warmack
But taking a chance on the Tar Heel wasn't an easy decision for the Cardinals.
According to ESPN college football analyst Mark May, the selection came down to picking between Cooper and Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack.
"It was going to be one of those two players, so there wasn't a lot of pressure in making a pick as much as there was in making the decision between whom you like more," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
May said at the end of the day, Cooper had more to offer in terms of satisfying Arizona's specific needs.
"I think Cooper is a little more athletic; Warmack is more of a road grinder," he said. "Cooper can get out in space and make things happen when you're in a hurry on quick screens; he's the type of athlete that can do it.
"He's a very mature guy, stayed four years and a very smart guy; he was on the dean's list. So this was almost a can't-miss, safe pick for the Arizona Cardinals. It's a need filler, it's something they need to fill and they got their player."
No matter which of the guards the Redbirds ultimately went with, the team could not have gone wrong, the analyst said.
"I thought either or could come in and start for this football team and do extremely well as long as they stayed healthy," May said. "I'd love to have both of them on my team."
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?