Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 4:31 pm
ESPN analyst: It was between Cooper and Warmack
But taking a chance on the Tar Heel wasn't an easy decision for the Cardinals.
According to ESPN college football analyst Mark May, the selection came down to picking between Cooper and Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack.
"It was going to be one of those two players, so there wasn't a lot of pressure in making a pick as much as there was in making the decision between whom you like more," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
May said at the end of the day, Cooper had more to offer in terms of satisfying Arizona's specific needs.
"I think Cooper is a little more athletic; Warmack is more of a road grinder," he said. "Cooper can get out in space and make things happen when you're in a hurry on quick screens; he's the type of athlete that can do it.
"He's a very mature guy, stayed four years and a very smart guy; he was on the dean's list. So this was almost a can't-miss, safe pick for the Arizona Cardinals. It's a need filler, it's something they need to fill and they got their player."
No matter which of the guards the Redbirds ultimately went with, the team could not have gone wrong, the analyst said.
"I thought either or could come in and start for this football team and do extremely well as long as they stayed healthy," May said. "I'd love to have both of them on my team."
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!