Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 3:41 pm
Jonathan Cooper welcomes expectations, wants to make ‘immediate impact'
They are three of the best offensive guards to ever play in the NFL, with a combined 32 Pro Bowl appearances and 25 All-Pro selections.
Allen and McDaniel are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Faneca, who retired two seasons ago, is almost assured of his own place in Canton, Ohio once eligible for induction.
Jonathan Cooper, the Cardinals' 2013 first round draft pick, has drawn comparisons to each one.
"Honestly, it makes me a little nervous," Cooper said at his introductory press conference Friday. "It's high expectations and kind of a little bit of pressure, but I also put just as much pressure on myself, and it makes me want to get to work immediately.
"There are some guys who kind of bask in that hype, but I can't allow myself to do that," he continued. "It's now time for me to prove to myself that I've earned that and I deserve that high praise."
Cooper was the fourth offensive lineman drafted and one of six selected in the top 11 picks during the first round Thursday.
"I feel like we really represented this class and showed that we are important to teams and we play pivotal roles in teams' success," he said.
"They always say you don't need a guard until you need one, and that's when you can't find one. I'm grateful to be part of this class and I feel like we showed that we are very important."
Well before the draft, the Cardinals said they expected whomever they took with the No. 7 overall pick to come in and play right away.
Cooper, who wisely wore a red tie, expects the same thing.
"I expect to come in immediately and compete, and also contribute to this team," he said. "They did spend a number seven pick on me, so I feel like I have to come and make an immediate impact."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Cardinals get high praise for pick
- Keim: Cooper one of 'cleanest' players in draft
- Breaking down G Jonathan Cooper
- Franz: Why not take a Chance?
- Burns: Quick thoughts on Cooper
- Wolf: Cooper reveals offense
- Cooper: Phone call 'meant the world to me'
- Jonathan Cooper - Draft Profile
- Green: Cardinals played it safe
- Cardinals select G Jonathan Cooper
- Twitter reaction to Cardinals' selection
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b