Updated Apr 24, 2013 - 9:53 am
New Cardinal Cason remains confident while trying to prove himself
A veteran of five NFL seasons, the 26-year-old is on a "prove it" kind of contract.
"It helps," Cason said of the motivation having to re-establish himself brings. "I'm definitely a motivated guy, confident guy. Take each day and get better and get better and get better; don't just be satisfied with today, but just keep getting better.
"And I will do that."
Cason was originally drafted by the San Diego Chargers with the 27th overall pick in the 2008 draft out of the University of Arizona, where he won the Jim Thorpe Award and was a consensus First-Team All-American as a senior.
A solid pro, Cason has career totals of 12 interceptions and 308 tackles. But the Chargers allowed him to leave as a free agent, and he was unable to land the type of long-term deal afforded to a more established player.
So the California native decided to head to Arizona and join a team that, like him, kind of has to prove itself. Playing in a division with NFC favorites San Francisco and Seattle, not much is really expected of the Cardinals in Bruce Arians' first year on the job.
But that underdog mentality suits Cason just fine.
"I love that," he said. "I'm confident in what I can do and I feel like I get better every time I come out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b