Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 1:14 pm
NFL analyst provides first-round draft strategy for Cardinals
Before the team acquired quarterback Carson Palmer, projections had the Cards selecting a a passer such as West Virginia's Geno Smith or USC's Matt Barkley. But ever since, predictions have shifted toward drafting an offensive lineman, with tackles Eric Fisher of Central Michigan and Lane Johnson of Oklahoma becoming the most popular names associated with the seventh overall pick.
NFL.com's Bucky Brooks has laid out a first-round draft strategy for the Cardinals.
Perfect plan: New coach Bruce Arians has already proclaimed Carson Palmer the Cardinals' starting quarterback after the team landed him in a trade with the Oakland Raiders. While the move certainly addressed one of the Cardinals' biggest needs, an inability to protect the quarterback has also been a significant issue in the past. Johnson, one of the fastest risers on draft boards across the league, impressed scouts with his talent and potential at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine.
Brooks also offers an auxiliary plan in case things don't go as expected for the Cardinals.
Backup strategy: If all of the best offensive tackles are off the board at this point, the Cardinals could take the top offensive guard prospect, to solidify the interior of the line. Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper are Pro Bowl-caliber talents with the capacity to start on Day 1.
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.