Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 6:31 pm
Cardinals GM Keim: Willing to trade up if right player is there
They've moved down a few times -- most recently in 2003 when they traded down from number six in exchange for picks 17 and 18 in the first round -- but more often than not, wherever the Cardinals are supposed to pick, they do.
Entering his first draft as the team's general manager, Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he has no problem with making a move if it means getting their guy.
"I think the bottom line is this," he said. "I'm not in the business of trying to give away picks, so I think we need to hold onto all of our picks, if possible.
"Now if there's a guy that's in our sights that we feel is a difference-maker, we're going to be aggressive and we're going to go get him."
That may be important because if the Cardinals want one of the draft's elite tackles, for instance, there's a chance one won't fall to Arizona at seven. So, if the team really wants one, they may have no choice but to trade up.
Keim added that the team will look at every opportunity they may get during the draft, and at this point there's no telling what will happen.
"Whether it's moving up, moving back, coming up back into round one from round two, anything can happen," he said. "A lot of that depends on certain players, how they slide, where they're projected to go on our board, and ultimately being aggressive."
Keim added that the team's mantra is to be proactive rather than reactive in the draft.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.