Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 6:31 pm
Cardinals GM Keim: Willing to trade up if right player is there
They've moved down a few times -- most recently in 2003 when they traded down from number six in exchange for picks 17 and 18 in the first round -- but more often than not, wherever the Cardinals are supposed to pick, they do.
Entering his first draft as the team's general manager, Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he has no problem with making a move if it means getting their guy.
"I think the bottom line is this," he said. "I'm not in the business of trying to give away picks, so I think we need to hold onto all of our picks, if possible.
"Now if there's a guy that's in our sights that we feel is a difference-maker, we're going to be aggressive and we're going to go get him."
That may be important because if the Cardinals want one of the draft's elite tackles, for instance, there's a chance one won't fall to Arizona at seven. So, if the team really wants one, they may have no choice but to trade up.
Keim added that the team will look at every opportunity they may get during the draft, and at this point there's no telling what will happen.
"Whether it's moving up, moving back, coming up back into round one from round two, anything can happen," he said. "A lot of that depends on certain players, how they slide, where they're projected to go on our board, and ultimately being aggressive."
Keim added that the team's mantra is to be proactive rather than reactive in the draft.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.