Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 6:31 pm
Cardinals GM Keim: Willing to trade up if right player is there
They've moved down a few times -- most recently in 2003 when they traded down from number six in exchange for picks 17 and 18 in the first round -- but more often than not, wherever the Cardinals are supposed to pick, they do.
Entering his first draft as the team's general manager, Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he has no problem with making a move if it means getting their guy.
"I think the bottom line is this," he said. "I'm not in the business of trying to give away picks, so I think we need to hold onto all of our picks, if possible.
"Now if there's a guy that's in our sights that we feel is a difference-maker, we're going to be aggressive and we're going to go get him."
That may be important because if the Cardinals want one of the draft's elite tackles, for instance, there's a chance one won't fall to Arizona at seven. So, if the team really wants one, they may have no choice but to trade up.
Keim added that the team will look at every opportunity they may get during the draft, and at this point there's no telling what will happen.
"Whether it's moving up, moving back, coming up back into round one from round two, anything can happen," he said. "A lot of that depends on certain players, how they slide, where they're projected to go on our board, and ultimately being aggressive."
Keim added that the team's mantra is to be proactive rather than reactive in the draft.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.