Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 6:31 pm
Cardinals GM Keim: Willing to trade up if right player is there
They've moved down a few times -- most recently in 2003 when they traded down from number six in exchange for picks 17 and 18 in the first round -- but more often than not, wherever the Cardinals are supposed to pick, they do.
Entering his first draft as the team's general manager, Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he has no problem with making a move if it means getting their guy.
"I think the bottom line is this," he said. "I'm not in the business of trying to give away picks, so I think we need to hold onto all of our picks, if possible.
"Now if there's a guy that's in our sights that we feel is a difference-maker, we're going to be aggressive and we're going to go get him."
That may be important because if the Cardinals want one of the draft's elite tackles, for instance, there's a chance one won't fall to Arizona at seven. So, if the team really wants one, they may have no choice but to trade up.
Keim added that the team will look at every opportunity they may get during the draft, and at this point there's no telling what will happen.
"Whether it's moving up, moving back, coming up back into round one from round two, anything can happen," he said. "A lot of that depends on certain players, how they slide, where they're projected to go on our board, and ultimately being aggressive."
Keim added that the team's mantra is to be proactive rather than reactive in the draft.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!