Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 4:45 pm
New Cardinal Alexander ready to fill any role team has for him
Of course, that's why he was in the Pro Bowl last season.
However, what drew him to the Valley was an opportunity to showcase his talents on the defensive side of the ball.
"Be a three-down starter, something that I've only had an opportunity once to do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
Alexander, 29, said he will be more of an outside linebacker who helps on special teams than a special teams player who can fill in at outside linebacker.
"So just a new challenge, a new transition in my career as a football player, just to be an every down guy," he said.
The former Washington Redskin, who admittedly grew up a fan of the San Francisco 49ers, says along with a desire to beat the defending NFC champions, he brings a varied skill set to the desert, with the ability to play both inside and outside linebacker.
"I can do everything," he said. "I prided myself on that, giving the team flexibility and depth at all positions."
And given the four-game suspension handed down to the Cardinals' incumbent Pro Bowl linebacker, Daryl Washington, the team may have a position it needs Alexander to fill when the season begins.
"He's one of the great players in the league today," Alexander said. "The next guy has to stand up until he's able to come back and do what he does. So whether that's me or another linebacker on our team -- somebody's going to have to fill that role and go out there so that we can win games."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!