Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 4:45 pm
New Cardinal Alexander ready to fill any role team has for him
Of course, that's why he was in the Pro Bowl last season.
However, what drew him to the Valley was an opportunity to showcase his talents on the defensive side of the ball.
"Be a three-down starter, something that I've only had an opportunity once to do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
Alexander, 29, said he will be more of an outside linebacker who helps on special teams than a special teams player who can fill in at outside linebacker.
"So just a new challenge, a new transition in my career as a football player, just to be an every down guy," he said.
The former Washington Redskin, who admittedly grew up a fan of the San Francisco 49ers, says along with a desire to beat the defending NFC champions, he brings a varied skill set to the desert, with the ability to play both inside and outside linebacker.
"I can do everything," he said. "I prided myself on that, giving the team flexibility and depth at all positions."
And given the four-game suspension handed down to the Cardinals' incumbent Pro Bowl linebacker, Daryl Washington, the team may have a position it needs Alexander to fill when the season begins.
"He's one of the great players in the league today," Alexander said. "The next guy has to stand up until he's able to come back and do what he does. So whether that's me or another linebacker on our team -- somebody's going to have to fill that role and go out there so that we can win games."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?