Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 4:45 pm
New Cardinal Alexander ready to fill any role team has for him
Of course, that's why he was in the Pro Bowl last season.
However, what drew him to the Valley was an opportunity to showcase his talents on the defensive side of the ball.
"Be a three-down starter, something that I've only had an opportunity once to do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
Alexander, 29, said he will be more of an outside linebacker who helps on special teams than a special teams player who can fill in at outside linebacker.
"So just a new challenge, a new transition in my career as a football player, just to be an every down guy," he said.
The former Washington Redskin, who admittedly grew up a fan of the San Francisco 49ers, says along with a desire to beat the defending NFC champions, he brings a varied skill set to the desert, with the ability to play both inside and outside linebacker.
"I can do everything," he said. "I prided myself on that, giving the team flexibility and depth at all positions."
And given the four-game suspension handed down to the Cardinals' incumbent Pro Bowl linebacker, Daryl Washington, the team may have a position it needs Alexander to fill when the season begins.
"He's one of the great players in the league today," Alexander said. "The next guy has to stand up until he's able to come back and do what he does. So whether that's me or another linebacker on our team -- somebody's going to have to fill that role and go out there so that we can win games."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves