Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 4:45 pm
New Cardinal Alexander ready to fill any role team has for him
Of course, that's why he was in the Pro Bowl last season.
However, what drew him to the Valley was an opportunity to showcase his talents on the defensive side of the ball.
"Be a three-down starter, something that I've only had an opportunity once to do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
Alexander, 29, said he will be more of an outside linebacker who helps on special teams than a special teams player who can fill in at outside linebacker.
"So just a new challenge, a new transition in my career as a football player, just to be an every down guy," he said.
The former Washington Redskin, who admittedly grew up a fan of the San Francisco 49ers, says along with a desire to beat the defending NFC champions, he brings a varied skill set to the desert, with the ability to play both inside and outside linebacker.
"I can do everything," he said. "I prided myself on that, giving the team flexibility and depth at all positions."
And given the four-game suspension handed down to the Cardinals' incumbent Pro Bowl linebacker, Daryl Washington, the team may have a position it needs Alexander to fill when the season begins.
"He's one of the great players in the league today," Alexander said. "The next guy has to stand up until he's able to come back and do what he does. So whether that's me or another linebacker on our team -- somebody's going to have to fill that role and go out there so that we can win games."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.