Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 2:55 pm
Arizona Cardinals to hold private workout with Geno Smith
The exact day, time and location of the workout are not yet known, but the fact that the Cardinals are interested is, well, interesting.
Smith is generally regarded to be the top quarterback in this year's draft, though many believe he'd be a reach for the Cardinals at number 7. However, odds are he won't fall out of the first round, so if Arizona wants him that's likely where they'll have to grab him.
But, are the Cardinals actually interested in Smith? Are they interested in any quarterback?
With Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer in the fold, along with Ryan Lindley, it would seem unlikely that the Cardinals are in the market to draft someone like Smith or USC's Matt Barkley, who the team is also planning on working out.
Then again, the team may just be doing its due diligence. Perhaps one of the signal callers wows Bruce Arians and his staff, or maybe the team wants to know more about the players should they fall to the second round. Or, it's possible they are trying to make QB-needy teams picking after them believe they might actually take a quarterback at seven.
Either way the Cardinals, who have already worked out North Carolina State QB Mike Glennon, appear to be interested in learning more about the options at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?