Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 2:55 pm
Arizona Cardinals to hold private workout with Geno Smith
The exact day, time and location of the workout are not yet known, but the fact that the Cardinals are interested is, well, interesting.
Smith is generally regarded to be the top quarterback in this year's draft, though many believe he'd be a reach for the Cardinals at number 7. However, odds are he won't fall out of the first round, so if Arizona wants him that's likely where they'll have to grab him.
But, are the Cardinals actually interested in Smith? Are they interested in any quarterback?
With Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer in the fold, along with Ryan Lindley, it would seem unlikely that the Cardinals are in the market to draft someone like Smith or USC's Matt Barkley, who the team is also planning on working out.
Then again, the team may just be doing its due diligence. Perhaps one of the signal callers wows Bruce Arians and his staff, or maybe the team wants to know more about the players should they fall to the second round. Or, it's possible they are trying to make QB-needy teams picking after them believe they might actually take a quarterback at seven.
Either way the Cardinals, who have already worked out North Carolina State QB Mike Glennon, appear to be interested in learning more about the options at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.