Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 1:47 pm
Cardinals coach: QB group is among the best in the NFL
1. Brian Hoyer
2. Ryan Lindley
3. John Skelton
IR: Kevin Kolb
It was the envy of no one.
However, the offseason has brought a new coaching staff, which has in turn brought in some new passers. As things are now, Arizona's quarterback depth chart is thus:
1. Carson Palmer
2. Drew Stanton
3. Brian Hoyer
4. Ryan Lindley
Looks better, doesn't it? Well, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians doesn't just think it's better; he thinks it's the best in the league.
"Now with Carson, I think our quarterback room with Brian Hoyer, Drew Stanton and Carson Palmer is as good anybody's in the league," he told Fox Sports Radio Thursday.
So, about Lindley...
It may have been a slip of the tongue, or perhaps the second-year pro is not really part of the team's future. In any event, the situation at the position has certainly turned around, and likely for the better.
And, with the seventh overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Arians is not ready to rule out another signal caller being added to the list. But, he cautioned, as of this moment it doesn't look like a signal caller will be the choice.
"We were going to take the best available player at that position, at number seven, whether it be a tackle, pass rusher, corner or quarterback," he said, be. "Right now I don't see a quarterback in this class coming up that would have been in that spot for us.
"Especially with the elite offensive linemen that are out there this year and defensive linemen."
Of course, things could change between now and the April 25 draft, and with the Cardinals scheduled to work out USC QB Matt Barkley, perhaps Arians is not ready to completely rule out adding to the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?