Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 4:07 pm
Cardinals acquire QB Carson Palmer from Oakland
The Cardinals are sending a sixth-round pick in 2013 to Oakland, along with a conditional pick in 2014, in exchange for Palmer and the Raiders' seventh-round pick in 2013.
The deal is reportedly for $16 million -- with $10 million guaranteed -- and the possibility for the contract to be worth up to $20 million.
Palmer spent the last two seasons in Oakland, compiling an 8-16 record as a starter while throwing for 6,771 yards and 35 touchdowns. Last season, Palmer threw for 4,018 yards, which made him one of only 11 passers to eclipse the 4,000-yard mark in 2012.
But his best seasons came in a Cincinnati Bengals uniform. The former Heisman Trophy winner and two-time Pro Bowler spent seven seasons with the Bengals, throwing for 22,694 yards, 154 touchdowns and 100 interceptions. His quarterback rating over that seven-year period was a respectable 86.9.
Palmer twice led the Bengals to the playoffs. In 2005, Cincinnati won the AFC North but lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wild Card round after the QB suffered a major knee injury early in the game. In 2009 the Bengals again won the division, but fell to the New York Jets in their Wild Card game.
The trade means the Cardinals have five quarterbacks on their roster. Drew Stanton was signed as a free agent from Indianapolis and Brian Hoyer signed his one-year tender offer from the Cardinals last month, though it is being reported the team is looking to move him. Ryan Lindley, who started five games last season, is also currently part of the quarterback mix.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.