Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 4:07 pm
Cardinals acquire QB Carson Palmer from Oakland
The Cardinals are sending a sixth-round pick in 2013 to Oakland, along with a conditional pick in 2014, in exchange for Palmer and the Raiders' seventh-round pick in 2013.
The deal is reportedly for $16 million -- with $10 million guaranteed -- and the possibility for the contract to be worth up to $20 million.
Palmer spent the last two seasons in Oakland, compiling an 8-16 record as a starter while throwing for 6,771 yards and 35 touchdowns. Last season, Palmer threw for 4,018 yards, which made him one of only 11 passers to eclipse the 4,000-yard mark in 2012.
But his best seasons came in a Cincinnati Bengals uniform. The former Heisman Trophy winner and two-time Pro Bowler spent seven seasons with the Bengals, throwing for 22,694 yards, 154 touchdowns and 100 interceptions. His quarterback rating over that seven-year period was a respectable 86.9.
Palmer twice led the Bengals to the playoffs. In 2005, Cincinnati won the AFC North but lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wild Card round after the QB suffered a major knee injury early in the game. In 2009 the Bengals again won the division, but fell to the New York Jets in their Wild Card game.
The trade means the Cardinals have five quarterbacks on their roster. Drew Stanton was signed as a free agent from Indianapolis and Brian Hoyer signed his one-year tender offer from the Cardinals last month, though it is being reported the team is looking to move him. Ryan Lindley, who started five games last season, is also currently part of the quarterback mix.
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.