Updated Mar 29, 2013 - 10:35 am
NAU pulls bid to keep Cardinals in Flagstaff
PHOENIX -- Northern Arizona University President John Haeger told the Arizona Daily Sun he has rejected a proposal from the Arizona Cardinals and withdrawn a bid to keep the team for three more years.
University spokesman Tom Bauer said the school made the team a fair offer and has no interest in a short-term deal, even one that could bring $10 million to the local economy.
"We have had a lot of people interested in using our facilities. Obviously, it's not as flashy as having an NFL team on campus, and won't get the publicity, but we're going to get a lot of people up here."
Cardinals spokesman Mark Dalton said the proposals didn't "adequately address any of the concerns we had expressed for years relative to facilities and football operations.
"They also added new elements which we saw as unfavorable for the team and Cardinal fans."
Among the changes Dalton cited were a parking charge and restrictions on team marketing and advertising rights.
Glendale continues to hammer out a 15-year deal with the Cardinals to spend summer camp at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Four months remain before the Cardinals are expected to start their training.
Jim Cross, Reporter
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.