Updated Mar 29, 2013 - 10:35 am
NAU pulls bid to keep Cardinals in Flagstaff
PHOENIX -- Northern Arizona University President John Haeger told the Arizona Daily Sun he has rejected a proposal from the Arizona Cardinals and withdrawn a bid to keep the team for three more years.
University spokesman Tom Bauer said the school made the team a fair offer and has no interest in a short-term deal, even one that could bring $10 million to the local economy.
"We have had a lot of people interested in using our facilities. Obviously, it's not as flashy as having an NFL team on campus, and won't get the publicity, but we're going to get a lot of people up here."
Cardinals spokesman Mark Dalton said the proposals didn't "adequately address any of the concerns we had expressed for years relative to facilities and football operations.
"They also added new elements which we saw as unfavorable for the team and Cardinal fans."
Among the changes Dalton cited were a parking charge and restrictions on team marketing and advertising rights.
Glendale continues to hammer out a 15-year deal with the Cardinals to spend summer camp at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Four months remain before the Cardinals are expected to start their training.
Jim Cross, Reporter
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!