Updated Mar 29, 2013 - 10:35 am
NAU pulls bid to keep Cardinals in Flagstaff
PHOENIX -- Northern Arizona University President John Haeger told the Arizona Daily Sun he has rejected a proposal from the Arizona Cardinals and withdrawn a bid to keep the team for three more years.
University spokesman Tom Bauer said the school made the team a fair offer and has no interest in a short-term deal, even one that could bring $10 million to the local economy.
"We have had a lot of people interested in using our facilities. Obviously, it's not as flashy as having an NFL team on campus, and won't get the publicity, but we're going to get a lot of people up here."
Cardinals spokesman Mark Dalton said the proposals didn't "adequately address any of the concerns we had expressed for years relative to facilities and football operations.
"They also added new elements which we saw as unfavorable for the team and Cardinal fans."
Among the changes Dalton cited were a parking charge and restrictions on team marketing and advertising rights.
Glendale continues to hammer out a 15-year deal with the Cardinals to spend summer camp at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Four months remain before the Cardinals are expected to start their training.
Jim Cross, Reporter
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.