Updated Mar 29, 2013 - 10:35 am
NAU pulls bid to keep Cardinals in Flagstaff
PHOENIX -- Northern Arizona University President John Haeger told the Arizona Daily Sun he has rejected a proposal from the Arizona Cardinals and withdrawn a bid to keep the team for three more years.
University spokesman Tom Bauer said the school made the team a fair offer and has no interest in a short-term deal, even one that could bring $10 million to the local economy.
"We have had a lot of people interested in using our facilities. Obviously, it's not as flashy as having an NFL team on campus, and won't get the publicity, but we're going to get a lot of people up here."
Cardinals spokesman Mark Dalton said the proposals didn't "adequately address any of the concerns we had expressed for years relative to facilities and football operations.
"They also added new elements which we saw as unfavorable for the team and Cardinal fans."
Among the changes Dalton cited were a parking charge and restrictions on team marketing and advertising rights.
Glendale continues to hammer out a 15-year deal with the Cardinals to spend summer camp at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Four months remain before the Cardinals are expected to start their training.
Jim Cross, Reporter
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.