Updated Mar 27, 2013 - 2:13 pm
NFL.com pegs Carson Palmer to the Cardinals
While some thought the Cardinals were done looking for a quarterback in free agency after the signing of Drew Stanton, NFL.com's Marc Sessler thinks otherwise.
In a piece titled "Who's next on the NFL quarterback carousel?", the Cardinals are the likely landing spot for Oakland Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer.
The Oakland Raiders don't plan to pay Palmer's $13 million salary and the grizzled veteran is "highly unlikely" to take a pay cut. With a divorce looming, Palmer is a logical target for coach Bruce Arians in Arizona. The Cardinals are upbeat about Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer, but Palmer is a present-day upgrade over both. Adding Palmer to the mix also allows the Cardinals to use their No. 7 pick on an offensive tackle. Palmer is a plodder who must be protected well -- not a Cardinals specialty of late -- but he'd give Arians a known quantity under center. Destination: Cardinals
If Palmer is released and the Cardinals make an offer, they would be pursuing a 33-year-old, two-time Pro Bowler who threw for 4,018 yards with 22 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and a 61.1% completion percentage last season. Based on statistics alone, Palmer would appear to be an upgrade at the quarterback position for Bruce Arians and the Cardinals in 2013.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.