Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 6:46 pm
The Palmer Principle: Free agent QB might be a temporary solution for Cardinals
Although Palmer would be a bridge quarterback, he would be a very good one. It's not often a Q hits the free agent market that can still play -- and Palmer can still play. He threw for over 4,000 yards, 22 touchdowns and had a quarterback rating of over 86 last season. What makes those numbers impressive is that he did it with one of the worst receiving corps in the league.
Palmer can still play, but I would like to see him prove it at a manageable number. The Cardinals have taken an even hand to free agency and I would like to see them continue that trend. Why not offer Palmer a one-year contract, like they have Rashard Mendenhall, Matt Shaughnessy and Antoine Cason? Or why not sign Carson to a multi-year contract that is incentive-based?
Reports are saying the Raiders are going to part ways with Palmer. And Palmer has never been a player that was more concerned with money than principle. Having invested wisely, he was ready to walk away from football rather than play for Mike Brown and the Cincinnati Bengals. He's doing it again with the Raiders, refusing to take a pay-cut from the $13 million he would receive this year.
Palmer doesn't need the money; what he needs is Larry Fitzgerald.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.