Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 1:57 pm
Report: Raiders likely to cut Carson Palmer -- Cardinals to have interest?
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has said Stanton will be the starter if the team does not add another signal caller, and many mock drafts have the team looking at a different position at the top of the 2013 draft.
So, in other words, if the Cards are to add another passer it will likely be via free agency, and it just so happens an enticing option is likely to hit the market.
Interesting: now "highly unlikely" Carson Palmer will be willing to restructure his contract meaning OAK pays him $13 million or cuts him.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 25, 2013
Palmer, 33, is clearly not the quarterback he once was. A Pro Bowl selection in 2005 and 2006, the former top pick is no longer considered to be elite.
However, he threw for 4,018 yards with 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last season with the Raiders, and has completed better than 60 percent of his passes in eight out of nine NFL seasons.
While Palmer may not be great -- the Raiders would not be parting with him if he was -- it's tough to argue the idea that he'd be an upgrade over the team's other options at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!