Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 1:57 pm
Report: Raiders likely to cut Carson Palmer -- Cardinals to have interest?
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has said Stanton will be the starter if the team does not add another signal caller, and many mock drafts have the team looking at a different position at the top of the 2013 draft.
So, in other words, if the Cards are to add another passer it will likely be via free agency, and it just so happens an enticing option is likely to hit the market.
Interesting: now "highly unlikely" Carson Palmer will be willing to restructure his contract meaning OAK pays him $13 million or cuts him.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 25, 2013
Palmer, 33, is clearly not the quarterback he once was. A Pro Bowl selection in 2005 and 2006, the former top pick is no longer considered to be elite.
However, he threw for 4,018 yards with 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last season with the Raiders, and has completed better than 60 percent of his passes in eight out of nine NFL seasons.
While Palmer may not be great -- the Raiders would not be parting with him if he was -- it's tough to argue the idea that he'd be an upgrade over the team's other options at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.