Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 10:41 pm
Brian Urlacher an Arizona Cardinal? Agent checks in
The team had many needs at the time, and as it turned out, many quality players to choose from.
Some thought they'd look to the offense and draft a running back like Tennessee's Jamal Lewis or Virginia's Thomas Jones, while others believed they might look to the defense and nab New Mexico's Brian Urlacher.
The Cardinals took Jones, and the Bears selected Urlacher two picks later.
Both had decent careers, but it's safe to say the Cardinals would have been better off with the linebacker.
According to an ESPN Chicago report, Urlacher's agent is hoping the team feels that way now after the Bears released the eight-time Pro Bowler.
Urlacher, who will be 35 in May, said his agent has talked with the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals. ESPN Twin Cities reported last week that the Vikings would not be interested in Urlacher unless his price comes way down.
While Urlacher is still a big name and effective player, it's tough to see the Cardinals having much interest. They've already signed Jasper Brinkley and Lorenzo Alexander, and don't really have a need for the 34-year-old.
Then again, though Urlacher's production has slipped in recent years there is no doubting the leadership qualities he brings to the table, and that's something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians may not mind having around.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!