Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 10:41 pm
Brian Urlacher an Arizona Cardinal? Agent checks in
The team had many needs at the time, and as it turned out, many quality players to choose from.
Some thought they'd look to the offense and draft a running back like Tennessee's Jamal Lewis or Virginia's Thomas Jones, while others believed they might look to the defense and nab New Mexico's Brian Urlacher.
The Cardinals took Jones, and the Bears selected Urlacher two picks later.
Both had decent careers, but it's safe to say the Cardinals would have been better off with the linebacker.
According to an ESPN Chicago report, Urlacher's agent is hoping the team feels that way now after the Bears released the eight-time Pro Bowler.
Urlacher, who will be 35 in May, said his agent has talked with the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals. ESPN Twin Cities reported last week that the Vikings would not be interested in Urlacher unless his price comes way down.
While Urlacher is still a big name and effective player, it's tough to see the Cardinals having much interest. They've already signed Jasper Brinkley and Lorenzo Alexander, and don't really have a need for the 34-year-old.
Then again, though Urlacher's production has slipped in recent years there is no doubting the leadership qualities he brings to the table, and that's something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians may not mind having around.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.