Expect Cardinals to name starter before training camp
Ken Whisenhunt, who was in Arizona for six years, went into training camp with an already-named starter just three times (if you include Kevin Kolb in 2011, though he was not acquired by the team prior to the opening of camp).
Arians appears to want no such questions surrounding his team, as he told ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando the plan is to have a starter named well before the team begins preparing for the season.
"I don't think there's any doubt when you have an established quarterback, it is much better than when someone is competing for a job," Arians said Tuesday from the NFL owners meeting. "Guys' friendships get involved and their own evaluations are made in the locker room because of friendships, and it's not always in the best interests of the ball club."
It's a refreshing change, though it'd be easier to understand if the Cardinals had, in fact, a sure thing at the quarterback position. But as of now, they don't.
Newly-signed Drew Stanton along with Brian Hoyer, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are all on the roster, and it's likely the Cardinals will select at least one quarterback sometime in the draft.
The early edge would appear to go Stanton, who Arians has expressed great confidence in, though it remains to be seen who will be taking first-team snaps when camp opens.
But at the very least, it appears we won't have to wait very long.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.