Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:52 pm
Expect Cardinals to name starter before training camp
Ken Whisenhunt, who was in Arizona for six years, went into training camp with an already-named starter just three times (if you include Kevin Kolb in 2011, though he was not acquired by the team prior to the opening of camp).
Arians appears to want no such questions surrounding his team, as he told ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando the plan is to have a starter named well before the team begins preparing for the season.
"I don't think there's any doubt when you have an established quarterback, it is much better than when someone is competing for a job," Arians said Tuesday from the NFL owners meeting. "Guys' friendships get involved and their own evaluations are made in the locker room because of friendships, and it's not always in the best interests of the ball club."
It's a refreshing change, though it'd be easier to understand if the Cardinals had, in fact, a sure thing at the quarterback position. But as of now, they don't.
Newly-signed Drew Stanton along with Brian Hoyer, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are all on the roster, and it's likely the Cardinals will select at least one quarterback sometime in the draft.
The early edge would appear to go Stanton, who Arians has expressed great confidence in, though it remains to be seen who will be taking first-team snaps when camp opens.
But at the very least, it appears we won't have to wait very long.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.