Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:52 pm
Expect Cardinals to name starter before training camp
Ken Whisenhunt, who was in Arizona for six years, went into training camp with an already-named starter just three times (if you include Kevin Kolb in 2011, though he was not acquired by the team prior to the opening of camp).
Arians appears to want no such questions surrounding his team, as he told ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando the plan is to have a starter named well before the team begins preparing for the season.
"I don't think there's any doubt when you have an established quarterback, it is much better than when someone is competing for a job," Arians said Tuesday from the NFL owners meeting. "Guys' friendships get involved and their own evaluations are made in the locker room because of friendships, and it's not always in the best interests of the ball club."
It's a refreshing change, though it'd be easier to understand if the Cardinals had, in fact, a sure thing at the quarterback position. But as of now, they don't.
Newly-signed Drew Stanton along with Brian Hoyer, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are all on the roster, and it's likely the Cardinals will select at least one quarterback sometime in the draft.
The early edge would appear to go Stanton, who Arians has expressed great confidence in, though it remains to be seen who will be taking first-team snaps when camp opens.
But at the very least, it appears we won't have to wait very long.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.