Updated Mar 14, 2013 - 8:55 am
Report: Cardinals expected to cut Kevin Kolb
Sources: #Cardinals expect to cut QB Kevin Kolb over the next few days. Due a roster bonus of $2M on March 17. He won't see that, I'm told— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2013
There has been much speculation about Kolb, who is coming off a second injury-shortened season with the Cardinals. Kolb relieved starter John Skelton in the season opener against Seattle, leading Arizona on a go-ahead touchdown drive in a 20-16 win.
Kolb would start the next five games before suffering a rib injury in Week 6 against Buffalo that would sideline him for the remainder of the season.
The six-year pro out of Houston completed 59.6 percent of his passes for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns during the 2012 season. But Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus on March 17 if he's still around, so there's speculation that the team will just release him.
Arizona also signed free agent quarterback Drew Stanton to a three-year, $8.2 million contract Wednesday. The deal contains $3 million guaranteed and incentives.
Who will be #Cardinals QBs battling? Drew Stanton Brian Hoyer, and either Skelton or Lindley. Not expecting first-round QB selection.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2013
Stanton served as Andrew Luck's backup in Indianapolis last season under interim head coach Bruce Arians, who is of course the new head coach in Arizona.
Stanton hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2010 when he was with Detroit.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?