Updated Mar 13, 2013 - 5:59 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign LB Lorenzo Alexander
According to CBS DC, the contract is a three-year deal with $9.5 million, with $3 million guaranteed.
Alexander, formerly of the Washington Redskins, has made his mark on special teams, and tallied a league-leading 19 special teams tackles last season. His efforts made him a Pro Bowler, but according to CBS DC, expects to be a starting linebacker in Arizona.
"They were there from the beginning," Alexander said of the Cardinals. "They really wanted me. They were head and shoulders above most teams financially other than San Francisco where I would have played mostly on special teams. The Cardinals have already kind of pegged me in a starting role which is very exciting for me. I'll be a linebacker that helps out on special teams instead of special teams being my bread and butter. It's going to allow me to grow as a player. I won't be tired when I'm on defense."
"Lorenzo is another guy who fits what we're looking for perfectly, both in terms of what he brings on the football field and also as a human being," said Cardinals coach Bruce Arians in a press release. "He has a tremendous motor, high energy and is a defensive play maker. And going to the Pro Bowl on special teams demonstrates how much he loves every aspect of the game."
In all, he's tallied 70 combined tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles in his career.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!