Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 3:57 pm
Report: Cardinals close to signing Josh Cribbs and Lorenzo Alexander
According to FoxSports.com's Alex Marvez, the team is close to signing former Cleveland Brown receiver/return specialist Josh Cribbs as well as former Washington Redskins linebacker Lorenzo Alexander.
Cribbs has spent all eight of his NFL seasons in Cleveland primarily as a special-teams standout and jack-of-all-trades offensive player. Cribbs was named to the NFL's All-Decade team in the 2000s as a kickoff returner and is the all-time leader in Browns history in that role. Cribbs also is tied for the NFL all-time record in kickoff returns for touchdowns with eight.
Cribbs would be signed as both a wide receiver and returner by Arizona, the source said. Cribbs posted a career-high 41 receptions in 2011 but wasn't a significant part of the team's passing offense in 2012. He finished with only 13 touches (seven catches; six rushes), marking his lowest production since Cribbs' rookie campaign in 2005.
Alexander, 29, played in 16 games in each of the last four seasons for the Redskins. Known for his prowess on special teams (he had an NFL-leading 19 special teams tackles last season), he was credited for 46 combined tackles last year to go along with 2.5 sacks.
The report says Alexander is also receiving interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.