Updated Mar 12, 2013 - 3:57 pm
Report: Cardinals close to signing Josh Cribbs and Lorenzo Alexander
According to FoxSports.com's Alex Marvez, the team is close to signing former Cleveland Brown receiver/return specialist Josh Cribbs as well as former Washington Redskins linebacker Lorenzo Alexander.
Cribbs has spent all eight of his NFL seasons in Cleveland primarily as a special-teams standout and jack-of-all-trades offensive player. Cribbs was named to the NFL's All-Decade team in the 2000s as a kickoff returner and is the all-time leader in Browns history in that role. Cribbs also is tied for the NFL all-time record in kickoff returns for touchdowns with eight.
Cribbs would be signed as both a wide receiver and returner by Arizona, the source said. Cribbs posted a career-high 41 receptions in 2011 but wasn't a significant part of the team's passing offense in 2012. He finished with only 13 touches (seven catches; six rushes), marking his lowest production since Cribbs' rookie campaign in 2005.
Alexander, 29, played in 16 games in each of the last four seasons for the Redskins. Known for his prowess on special teams (he had an NFL-leading 19 special teams tackles last season), he was credited for 46 combined tackles last year to go along with 2.5 sacks.
The report says Alexander is also receiving interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?