Updated Mar 11, 2013 - 3:41 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Odds favor Kevin Kolb being released
Due to make a $2 million roster bonus along with $9 million in salary in 2013, the team has been very clear about a desire for the quarterback to take a pay cut.
The roster bonus is due March 16, meaning something will get done before then, and it's been reported those talks will happen this week.
But according to ESPN NFL insider John Clayton, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday, the discussions probably won't lead to much.
"It has been quiet," he said when asked why not much has been said about the negotiations. "I think it's quiet because they realize it's a very tough decision."
Acquired for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick before the 2011 season, Kolb has passed for 3,124 yards and 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions over the last two seasons. He's played in just 15 games -- with 14 starts -- and has battled various injuries over his time with the franchise.
So while he's shown some ability to play well on the field, he has not exactly shown the ability to stay on the field.
"I think the odds still favor him being released, but if he's willing to take a cap hit or take a big pay cut to stay then it's a different story," Clayton said. "You know he's not going to stay at the existing contract and you'd think the team is ready to move on."
Clayton believes new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would not mind keeping Kolb around at the right price, though even then he will be doing so with the idea of the quarterback competing for the starting job.
"The question is how much of a pay cut can he do to stay and if he's willing to do it," Clayton said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!