Updated Mar 11, 2013 - 3:41 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Odds favor Kevin Kolb being released
Due to make a $2 million roster bonus along with $9 million in salary in 2013, the team has been very clear about a desire for the quarterback to take a pay cut.
The roster bonus is due March 16, meaning something will get done before then, and it's been reported those talks will happen this week.
But according to ESPN NFL insider John Clayton, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday, the discussions probably won't lead to much.
"It has been quiet," he said when asked why not much has been said about the negotiations. "I think it's quiet because they realize it's a very tough decision."
Acquired for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick before the 2011 season, Kolb has passed for 3,124 yards and 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions over the last two seasons. He's played in just 15 games -- with 14 starts -- and has battled various injuries over his time with the franchise.
So while he's shown some ability to play well on the field, he has not exactly shown the ability to stay on the field.
"I think the odds still favor him being released, but if he's willing to take a cap hit or take a big pay cut to stay then it's a different story," Clayton said. "You know he's not going to stay at the existing contract and you'd think the team is ready to move on."
Clayton believes new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would not mind keeping Kolb around at the right price, though even then he will be doing so with the idea of the quarterback competing for the starting job.
"The question is how much of a pay cut can he do to stay and if he's willing to do it," Clayton said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?