ESPN NFL insider: Odds favor Kevin Kolb being released
Due to make a $2 million roster bonus along with $9 million in salary in 2013, the team has been very clear about a desire for the quarterback to take a pay cut.
The roster bonus is due March 16, meaning something will get done before then, and it's been reported those talks will happen this week.
But according to ESPN NFL insider John Clayton, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday, the discussions probably won't lead to much.
"It has been quiet," he said when asked why not much has been said about the negotiations. "I think it's quiet because they realize it's a very tough decision."
Acquired for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick before the 2011 season, Kolb has passed for 3,124 yards and 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions over the last two seasons. He's played in just 15 games -- with 14 starts -- and has battled various injuries over his time with the franchise.
So while he's shown some ability to play well on the field, he has not exactly shown the ability to stay on the field.
"I think the odds still favor him being released, but if he's willing to take a cap hit or take a big pay cut to stay then it's a different story," Clayton said. "You know he's not going to stay at the existing contract and you'd think the team is ready to move on."
Clayton believes new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would not mind keeping Kolb around at the right price, though even then he will be doing so with the idea of the quarterback competing for the starting job.
"The question is how much of a pay cut can he do to stay and if he's willing to do it," Clayton said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.