Updated Mar 11, 2013 - 3:41 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Odds favor Kevin Kolb being released
Due to make a $2 million roster bonus along with $9 million in salary in 2013, the team has been very clear about a desire for the quarterback to take a pay cut.
The roster bonus is due March 16, meaning something will get done before then, and it's been reported those talks will happen this week.
But according to ESPN NFL insider John Clayton, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday, the discussions probably won't lead to much.
"It has been quiet," he said when asked why not much has been said about the negotiations. "I think it's quiet because they realize it's a very tough decision."
Acquired for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick before the 2011 season, Kolb has passed for 3,124 yards and 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions over the last two seasons. He's played in just 15 games -- with 14 starts -- and has battled various injuries over his time with the franchise.
So while he's shown some ability to play well on the field, he has not exactly shown the ability to stay on the field.
"I think the odds still favor him being released, but if he's willing to take a cap hit or take a big pay cut to stay then it's a different story," Clayton said. "You know he's not going to stay at the existing contract and you'd think the team is ready to move on."
Clayton believes new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would not mind keeping Kolb around at the right price, though even then he will be doing so with the idea of the quarterback competing for the starting job.
"The question is how much of a pay cut can he do to stay and if he's willing to do it," Clayton said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!