Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 3:10 pm
Former teammate: Adrian Wilson was 'always Cardinals first'
Also a safety, Lassiter was a teammate of Wilson's for two seasons before leaving as a free agent. Yet, while he was only around for the beginning of Wilson's Cardinals career, Lassiter very much understands the impact his former teammate made.
"He's turned into a vocal leader, he's turned into a leader that shows ‘just watch me,'" Lassiter told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "But that guy was always Cardinals first. It wasn't about Adrian Wilson first."
Wilson spent the last 12 years with the Cardinals but was released Friday, as the team elected to part with the 33-year-old five-time Pro Bowl selection. The move does not necessarily come as a surprise, as Wilson has clearly declined, but that does not mean the move is any less difficult to come to grips with.
"He had a great impact on changing the dynamics of what they wanted to do as far as an organization," Lassiter said. "And you can build around a guy like Adrian Wilson."
Speaking from experience, Lassiter said it's easier for players to succeed when they join a team led by a professional like Wilson. So in a way, the Cardinals being able to move on from Wilson is somewhat because they had Wilson in the first place.
"Guys coming into the league, it's a great benefit when you can come to a veteran team that you can learn from and learn how to play the game," he said. "I think (Darnell) Dockett and Calais (Campbell) and all those guys learned from Adrian.
"They understood this guy's passion that he wanted to go out there and win and wanted to change the face of the organization."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?