Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 3:10 pm
Former teammate: Adrian Wilson was 'always Cardinals first'
Also a safety, Lassiter was a teammate of Wilson's for two seasons before leaving as a free agent. Yet, while he was only around for the beginning of Wilson's Cardinals career, Lassiter very much understands the impact his former teammate made.
"He's turned into a vocal leader, he's turned into a leader that shows ‘just watch me,'" Lassiter told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "But that guy was always Cardinals first. It wasn't about Adrian Wilson first."
Wilson spent the last 12 years with the Cardinals but was released Friday, as the team elected to part with the 33-year-old five-time Pro Bowl selection. The move does not necessarily come as a surprise, as Wilson has clearly declined, but that does not mean the move is any less difficult to come to grips with.
"He had a great impact on changing the dynamics of what they wanted to do as far as an organization," Lassiter said. "And you can build around a guy like Adrian Wilson."
Speaking from experience, Lassiter said it's easier for players to succeed when they join a team led by a professional like Wilson. So in a way, the Cardinals being able to move on from Wilson is somewhat because they had Wilson in the first place.
"Guys coming into the league, it's a great benefit when you can come to a veteran team that you can learn from and learn how to play the game," he said. "I think (Darnell) Dockett and Calais (Campbell) and all those guys learned from Adrian.
"They understood this guy's passion that he wanted to go out there and win and wanted to change the face of the organization."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.