Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 3:10 pm
Former teammate: Adrian Wilson was 'always Cardinals first'
Also a safety, Lassiter was a teammate of Wilson's for two seasons before leaving as a free agent. Yet, while he was only around for the beginning of Wilson's Cardinals career, Lassiter very much understands the impact his former teammate made.
"He's turned into a vocal leader, he's turned into a leader that shows ‘just watch me,'" Lassiter told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "But that guy was always Cardinals first. It wasn't about Adrian Wilson first."
Wilson spent the last 12 years with the Cardinals but was released Friday, as the team elected to part with the 33-year-old five-time Pro Bowl selection. The move does not necessarily come as a surprise, as Wilson has clearly declined, but that does not mean the move is any less difficult to come to grips with.
"He had a great impact on changing the dynamics of what they wanted to do as far as an organization," Lassiter said. "And you can build around a guy like Adrian Wilson."
Speaking from experience, Lassiter said it's easier for players to succeed when they join a team led by a professional like Wilson. So in a way, the Cardinals being able to move on from Wilson is somewhat because they had Wilson in the first place.
"Guys coming into the league, it's a great benefit when you can come to a veteran team that you can learn from and learn how to play the game," he said. "I think (Darnell) Dockett and Calais (Campbell) and all those guys learned from Adrian.
"They understood this guy's passion that he wanted to go out there and win and wanted to change the face of the organization."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!