Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 4:28 pm
Looks like Flagstaff has given up on keeping the Arizona Cardinals
"Hosting an NFL team has been a bonus to the local economy, and we have enjoyed welcoming Cardinals fans back to their summer home for the last quarter century," Northern Arizona University President John Haeger said in a press release.
According to the release, Haeger said the school will look for other ways to bring revenue to the city by using its ample housing, field and conference space to attract events.
But losing the Cardinals, who have made the area their training camp home for the last 25 years, is a significant blow to the city.
"We've had a solid partnership with the Cardinals for many years, and we wish them well," Flagstaff Mayor Jerry Nabours said in the release. "Now we move forward in collaboration with the university, which has been a key partner in economic development for decades."
The Cardinals' three-year agreement to hold training camp in Flagstaff ended in 2012, and word leaked over the last couple months they were interested in moving the operation to Glendale, where they play regular season games. Haeger said the school "made an extraordinary offer and worked diligently" to keep the Cardinals in town, but alas it appears it was to no avail.
"We thank the many Cardinals fans who've made NAU a summer destination for nearly 25 years and supported the university, local businesses and the city," Haeger said. "We look forward to welcoming you back for Lumberjack athletics and community events."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b