Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 4:28 pm
Looks like Flagstaff has given up on keeping the Arizona Cardinals
"Hosting an NFL team has been a bonus to the local economy, and we have enjoyed welcoming Cardinals fans back to their summer home for the last quarter century," Northern Arizona University President John Haeger said in a press release.
According to the release, Haeger said the school will look for other ways to bring revenue to the city by using its ample housing, field and conference space to attract events.
But losing the Cardinals, who have made the area their training camp home for the last 25 years, is a significant blow to the city.
"We've had a solid partnership with the Cardinals for many years, and we wish them well," Flagstaff Mayor Jerry Nabours said in the release. "Now we move forward in collaboration with the university, which has been a key partner in economic development for decades."
The Cardinals' three-year agreement to hold training camp in Flagstaff ended in 2012, and word leaked over the last couple months they were interested in moving the operation to Glendale, where they play regular season games. Haeger said the school "made an extraordinary offer and worked diligently" to keep the Cardinals in town, but alas it appears it was to no avail.
"We thank the many Cardinals fans who've made NAU a summer destination for nearly 25 years and supported the university, local businesses and the city," Haeger said. "We look forward to welcoming you back for Lumberjack athletics and community events."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.