Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 12:21 pm
Is Larry Fitzgerald overvalued in Arizona?
Pricey, but fair for one of the best receivers in the game.
Except, last season he wasn't. Or, at the very least, the team around him held him back.
Fitzgerald caught just 71 passes for 798 yards and four touchdowns. It's his lowest reception total since 2006, the fewest yards he's gained since his rookie season and the worst TD mark of his career.
Combine that lack of production with his hefty paycheck, and the folks at ProFootballFocus.com, courtesy of an ESPN Insider piece, say Fitz is one of the most overvalued players in the NFL.
Sometimes you just have to blame a team. The Cardinals invested heavily in Fitzgerald, yet they haven't put the talent around him to make full use of their marquee receiver. In years past Fitzgerald has been able to overcome that, but this season appeared to be something of a breaking point. He caught just 48 percent of balls thrown his way (eighth-lowest of all receivers) and dropped 6.58 percent of catchable balls (his highest rate since we started tracking in 2008).
While tough to hear it's not exactly unbelievable, as even the best receiver is not as useful if the team can't get him the ball.
But does that mean the Cardinals should look to move their top wideout? Not really, though it reaffirms what we already knew: They need to change some things if they're going to get a proper return on their investment.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?