Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 12:34 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Expect Cardinals to have interest in Matt Cassel
While the San Francisco 49ers trading Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs means he is no longer an option for the Arizona Cardinals, his arrival signals departure from Kansas City of someone who could be.
Look for Matt Cassel to be one of the quarterbacks on the Cardinals' radar. Cassel also will receive interest from other teams.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 27, 2013
Cassel, 30, has spent the last four seasons with the Chiefs after starting his career with New England. A Pro Bowler in 2010 when he threw for 27 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, his numbers have dipped since as he dealt with injuries and ineffectiveness.
Cassel played in just nine games each of the last two seasons, and in 2012 completed 58.1 percent of his passes for 1,796 yards and six touchdowns while throwing 12 interceptions.
Not known for having a big arm, which is something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would appear to prefer, it is unclear if Cassel would be a good fit in Arizona. However, with the Chiefs set to release him he would be a reasonably cheap option for a Cardinals team that could use some help at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.