Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 12:34 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Expect Cardinals to have interest in Matt Cassel
While the San Francisco 49ers trading Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs means he is no longer an option for the Arizona Cardinals, his arrival signals departure from Kansas City of someone who could be.
Look for Matt Cassel to be one of the quarterbacks on the Cardinals' radar. Cassel also will receive interest from other teams.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 27, 2013
Cassel, 30, has spent the last four seasons with the Chiefs after starting his career with New England. A Pro Bowler in 2010 when he threw for 27 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, his numbers have dipped since as he dealt with injuries and ineffectiveness.
Cassel played in just nine games each of the last two seasons, and in 2012 completed 58.1 percent of his passes for 1,796 yards and six touchdowns while throwing 12 interceptions.
Not known for having a big arm, which is something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would appear to prefer, it is unclear if Cassel would be a good fit in Arizona. However, with the Chiefs set to release him he would be a reasonably cheap option for a Cardinals team that could use some help at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up