Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 12:34 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Expect Cardinals to have interest in Matt Cassel
While the San Francisco 49ers trading Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs means he is no longer an option for the Arizona Cardinals, his arrival signals departure from Kansas City of someone who could be.
Look for Matt Cassel to be one of the quarterbacks on the Cardinals' radar. Cassel also will receive interest from other teams.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 27, 2013
Cassel, 30, has spent the last four seasons with the Chiefs after starting his career with New England. A Pro Bowler in 2010 when he threw for 27 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, his numbers have dipped since as he dealt with injuries and ineffectiveness.
Cassel played in just nine games each of the last two seasons, and in 2012 completed 58.1 percent of his passes for 1,796 yards and six touchdowns while throwing 12 interceptions.
Not known for having a big arm, which is something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would appear to prefer, it is unclear if Cassel would be a good fit in Arizona. However, with the Chiefs set to release him he would be a reasonably cheap option for a Cardinals team that could use some help at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett