Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 12:34 pm
ESPN NFL insider: Expect Cardinals to have interest in Matt Cassel
While the San Francisco 49ers trading Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs means he is no longer an option for the Arizona Cardinals, his arrival signals departure from Kansas City of someone who could be.
Look for Matt Cassel to be one of the quarterbacks on the Cardinals' radar. Cassel also will receive interest from other teams.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 27, 2013
Cassel, 30, has spent the last four seasons with the Chiefs after starting his career with New England. A Pro Bowler in 2010 when he threw for 27 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, his numbers have dipped since as he dealt with injuries and ineffectiveness.
Cassel played in just nine games each of the last two seasons, and in 2012 completed 58.1 percent of his passes for 1,796 yards and six touchdowns while throwing 12 interceptions.
Not known for having a big arm, which is something new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians would appear to prefer, it is unclear if Cassel would be a good fit in Arizona. However, with the Chiefs set to release him he would be a reasonably cheap option for a Cardinals team that could use some help at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.