Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 8:44 am
Report: Cardinals to express interest in Alex Smith
That's apparently what they want to find out.
According to NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport, the team "will express interest in a possible trade" for San Francisco 49ers QB Alex Smith. However, as Rapoport notes, the Cardinals are "VERY pessimistic" that the 49ers will trade with a division rival.
They have good reason to be, as out of the 25 trades made in 2012, not one was between division rivals.
Smith, who was supplanted by Colin Kaepernick during the 2012 season, has been a rumored trade candidate ever since. A 28-year-old who really came into his own the last two seasons, Smith completed better than 70 percent of his passes for 1,737 yards and 13 touchdowns last season while being intercepted just five times. He had a QB rating of 104.1.
His best game was against the Cardinals in Glendale, when he completed 18-of-19 passes for 232 yards and three touchdowns in a 24-3 Monday night win.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Cardinals WRs Brown, Golden and Powell fail to make case in final preseason game
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.