Updated Feb 25, 2013 - 4:42 pm
John Clayton: You just don't get excited about this year's rookie QBs
But if that was indeed the case, they may be leaving with a different idea. Because, according to ESPN NFL insider John Clayton, no one really helped themselves over the weekend.
"I thought this was going to be one where one or two or three quarterbacks who have been working out for five, six weeks, testing everything and trying to get their games better, I thought somebody was going to light it up and nobody lit it up," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "But that doesn't mean they're not going to go in the first round; it just means they're going to go in a lower part of the first round."
West Virginia's Geno Smith, USC's Matt Barkley, Arkansas' Tyler Wilson, Florida State's EJ Manuel, North Carolina State's Mike Glennon, Syracuse's Ryan Nassib and Tennessee's Tyler Bray are all intriguing talents, as are Kansas State's Collin Klein and Arizona's Matt Scott.
The Cardinals, as we know, are picking seventh, which may be a bit high for a passer in this draft.
And all it takes is for one team to fall in love with a player and take him earlier than most think he should go for all the dominoes to start to fall.
Seemingly every year a team or two "reaches" for a signal caller earlier than most think they should, and there's nothing saying new coach Bruce Arians and his staff won't I.D. a player and make sure they get him.
"I still think it's going to be two or three," Clayton said of quarterbacks taken in the first round. "But you just don't get excited about it because this group isn't as good as the group in the last two years."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.