Updated Feb 24, 2013 - 10:55 am
NFL.com analyst: USC's Matt Barkley made fantastic impression with Cardinals
According to NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah, USC quarterback Matt Barkley made quite a first impression with the Cardinals' Combine contingent.
This week in Indy always spawns several rumors. One such rumor has the Cardinals being very interested in Barkley. I've been told this exact same piece of information from a few different sources. According to one source, the Cardinals were extremely impressed with the USC quarterback during his interview this week.
Barkley at No. 7 seemed plausible following his 2011 campaign with the Trojans. As a junior, the Orange County native led USC to a 10-2 record and threw for 3,528 yards and a Pac-12 record 39 touchdowns. However during the Trojans' disappointing 7-6 campaign in 2012, Barkley saw his numbers (3,273 yards, 36 touchdowns and a career-high 15 interceptions) and his draft stock steadily decline.
To make matters worse, Barkley suffered a season-ending separated right shoulder in a late-season loss to rival UCLA. The injury kept Barkley out of USC's bowl game and prevented him from throwing for teams in Indianapolis this week.
While Barkley appears to be making the most out of his Combine experience, the former Trojan likely still has some work to do at USC's Pro Day on March 27.
Although it's not terribly surprising that Barkley reportedly said all the right things during his Combine interview with Arizona, the question still remains: Can the Cardinals afford to take a quarterback with the No. 7 overall pick in a year where the draft class isn't full of elite talent at the position?
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?