Updated Feb 21, 2013 - 11:49 am
Arians: Not interested in running QB for Cardinals
Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick both led their teams to the playoffs last season, and both figure to be effective for years to come.
And, part of what makes each of them so good is their ability to run as well as pass.
Teams have been trending towards adding mobile quarterbacks of late, with the likes of Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Jake Locker all selected in the top 10 of recent drafts.
However, don't expect the Cardinals to follow suit.
"Give defensive coordinators in the National Football League credit, they'll have time to study this new trend that's happening right now in the NFL," new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "I'm not a believer in putting my quarterback in harm's way; I think a lot of harm will come to him.
"I'm more of a traditionalist."
What does that mean for the Cardinals as they continue to search for a quarterback? John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are more pocket-style passers while Kevin Kolb tends to be more comfortable running around a bit.
As for the draft, the top-ranked passer appears to be West Virginia's Geno Smith, who is mobile yet is not apt to just take off and run. Prospects Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon and Tyler Wilson do most of their work from the pocket as well, albeit without Smith's mobility.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.