Updated Feb 21, 2013 - 11:49 am
Arians: Not interested in running QB for Cardinals
Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick both led their teams to the playoffs last season, and both figure to be effective for years to come.
And, part of what makes each of them so good is their ability to run as well as pass.
Teams have been trending towards adding mobile quarterbacks of late, with the likes of Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Jake Locker all selected in the top 10 of recent drafts.
However, don't expect the Cardinals to follow suit.
"Give defensive coordinators in the National Football League credit, they'll have time to study this new trend that's happening right now in the NFL," new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "I'm not a believer in putting my quarterback in harm's way; I think a lot of harm will come to him.
"I'm more of a traditionalist."
What does that mean for the Cardinals as they continue to search for a quarterback? John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are more pocket-style passers while Kevin Kolb tends to be more comfortable running around a bit.
As for the draft, the top-ranked passer appears to be West Virginia's Geno Smith, who is mobile yet is not apt to just take off and run. Prospects Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon and Tyler Wilson do most of their work from the pocket as well, albeit without Smith's mobility.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.