Updated Feb 21, 2013 - 11:49 am
Arians: Not interested in running QB for Cardinals
Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick both led their teams to the playoffs last season, and both figure to be effective for years to come.
And, part of what makes each of them so good is their ability to run as well as pass.
Teams have been trending towards adding mobile quarterbacks of late, with the likes of Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Jake Locker all selected in the top 10 of recent drafts.
However, don't expect the Cardinals to follow suit.
"Give defensive coordinators in the National Football League credit, they'll have time to study this new trend that's happening right now in the NFL," new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "I'm not a believer in putting my quarterback in harm's way; I think a lot of harm will come to him.
"I'm more of a traditionalist."
What does that mean for the Cardinals as they continue to search for a quarterback? John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are more pocket-style passers while Kevin Kolb tends to be more comfortable running around a bit.
As for the draft, the top-ranked passer appears to be West Virginia's Geno Smith, who is mobile yet is not apt to just take off and run. Prospects Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon and Tyler Wilson do most of their work from the pocket as well, albeit without Smith's mobility.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' K Jay Feely earns NFC Special Teams Player of the Week
- Arizona Cardinals' Floyd: Must have confidence vs. Seattle
- The Pulse: Antoine Cason the star of Cardinals' win over Titans
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 16
- Cardinals' GM Keim: Arians 'turns up the heat' on the offensive line
- Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo - Tuesday December 17Cardinal Wide Receiver Michael Floyd joins Burns & Gambo.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday December 17A love/hate relationship with NFL kickers
- Impromtu Power Poll - Tuesday December 17NFL coaches in the hot seat.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday December 16Arians discusses the team's dramatic, overtime victory in Tennessee.
- Paul's Call - Monday December 16Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi!