Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 5:11 pm
ESPN Insider: Restructure Kolb's contract or cut the QB
While Kevin Kolb led the Cardinals to a 4-1 start last season, he's played in 15 of the possible 32 games in the last two years. His injury issues present a decision for ownership and new head coach Bruce Arians.
Do the Cardinals need to look elsewhere for their quarterback?
In an ESPN Insider article, Chris Sprow stated the Cardinals should cut ties with Kolb if they can't renegotiate the $11 million he's due in 2013.
There are economics departments offering "Kevin Kolb: Sunk Costs 201" among course offerings for the fall semester. The first two years of his high-priced tenure in Arizona have been a waste (2011) and signs of hope (2012), but paying him at a cap-hit level of $13.5 million in 2013 is out of the question. The Cardinals should look to renegotiate, and if they fail to get Kolb below about $5 million, they should cut him. The draft, Matt Cassel, Alex Smith and other options are all in play at this point, and all offer as much or more hope than Kolb.
Cardinals president Michael Bidwill told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that Kolb's contract will 'need to be addressed', proving the franchise recognizes something has to change.
Kolb has suffered an array of injuries since joining the Cardinals, from turf toe and a concussion in 2011 to rib and shoulder injuries in 2012.
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?