Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 5:11 pm
ESPN Insider: Restructure Kolb's contract or cut the QB
While Kevin Kolb led the Cardinals to a 4-1 start last season, he's played in 15 of the possible 32 games in the last two years. His injury issues present a decision for ownership and new head coach Bruce Arians.
Do the Cardinals need to look elsewhere for their quarterback?
In an ESPN Insider article, Chris Sprow stated the Cardinals should cut ties with Kolb if they can't renegotiate the $11 million he's due in 2013.
There are economics departments offering "Kevin Kolb: Sunk Costs 201" among course offerings for the fall semester. The first two years of his high-priced tenure in Arizona have been a waste (2011) and signs of hope (2012), but paying him at a cap-hit level of $13.5 million in 2013 is out of the question. The Cardinals should look to renegotiate, and if they fail to get Kolb below about $5 million, they should cut him. The draft, Matt Cassel, Alex Smith and other options are all in play at this point, and all offer as much or more hope than Kolb.
Cardinals president Michael Bidwill told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that Kolb's contract will 'need to be addressed', proving the franchise recognizes something has to change.
Kolb has suffered an array of injuries since joining the Cardinals, from turf toe and a concussion in 2011 to rib and shoulder injuries in 2012.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.