Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 5:11 pm
ESPN Insider: Restructure Kolb's contract or cut the QB
While Kevin Kolb led the Cardinals to a 4-1 start last season, he's played in 15 of the possible 32 games in the last two years. His injury issues present a decision for ownership and new head coach Bruce Arians.
Do the Cardinals need to look elsewhere for their quarterback?
In an ESPN Insider article, Chris Sprow stated the Cardinals should cut ties with Kolb if they can't renegotiate the $11 million he's due in 2013.
There are economics departments offering "Kevin Kolb: Sunk Costs 201" among course offerings for the fall semester. The first two years of his high-priced tenure in Arizona have been a waste (2011) and signs of hope (2012), but paying him at a cap-hit level of $13.5 million in 2013 is out of the question. The Cardinals should look to renegotiate, and if they fail to get Kolb below about $5 million, they should cut him. The draft, Matt Cassel, Alex Smith and other options are all in play at this point, and all offer as much or more hope than Kolb.
Cardinals president Michael Bidwill told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that Kolb's contract will 'need to be addressed', proving the franchise recognizes something has to change.
Kolb has suffered an array of injuries since joining the Cardinals, from turf toe and a concussion in 2011 to rib and shoulder injuries in 2012.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.