Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 3:40 pm
Clayton: Alex Smith could make a 'beeline to Arizona' if released by SF
It's been three seasons since Warner retired from the NFL, and though they've tried six different players in the role, most believe the Cardinals are still looking that guy.
The 2013 NFL Draft is deep with names, but probably lacks a franchise-type quarterback that can fill the position for years to come.
That leaves free agency as the number-one option for the Cardinals in their search this offseason.
One of the more intriguing players who could become available is San Francisco's Alex Smith. The seven-year veteran lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick, who helped lead the 49ers to their first Super Bowl appearance in 18 years and is clearly the quarterback of the future for their franchise. San Francisco has said they'll try to trade Smith rather than just release him and his $7.5 million salary (and $9.75 million cap hit) for 2013. They've also stated that if they can't trade Smith, they'll simply keep him -- which most believe is just posturing.
ESPN NFL insider John Clayton joined Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday, and said he believes the 49ers have a plan in place for Smith.
"Oh, they're bluffing in that way because they're trying to get trade value and in some ways, they need to get trade value because I would have to think that if he's released, he'll make a beeline to Arizona and compete against the 49ers two times a year for the next several years," Clayton said.
Smith was the first overall pick of the 2005 draft by the 49ers, and struggled for his first five years in the league. But under the tutelage of head coach Jim Harbaugh, who took over the Niners in 2011, Smith has improved greatly. The former Utah QB has thrown for 4,881 yards and 30 touchdowns with only 10 interceptions over the last two years while racking up a 19-5-1 record as a starter.
"Knowing that the 49ers probably don't want (Smith to go to a division foe), the best thing to do is hang on to him and see if you can trade him to an AFC team, maybe the Cleveland Browns -- I think the Browns would be the most interested," Clayton said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up