Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 1:36 pm
Cards OC Goodwin: Fix the line, fix the QBs
Much of Goodwin's focus will be on the offensive line, which is his forte, and as he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday, fixing that issue could solve other problems the team had.
"The thing that stood out to me, and I've watched most of the quarterbacks, is just being able to protect the quarterback," he said. "The thing I like to say is the quarterbacks probably got a little gun-shy last year but hey, that can be fixed."
Goodwin said better protection, a better run game and keeping down and distance manageable would go a long way towards helping the quarterbacks.
Cardinals quarterbacks were sacked a league-most 58 times last season, and Arizona's running game was last in the league in total yards. So there is certainly room to improve, and Goodwin believes that may be the key to fixing the quarterback woes.
"Just try to take some of that pressure off those guys to make plays at the quarterback position, but I like the guys and obviously we can do a better job of coaching them up," he said.
Goodwin admitted that if the coaching staff cannot coax better play out of a group that consists of Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer that "door number two" may be where the Cardinals find their QB.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.