Updated Feb 3, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Report: Former Cardinals RB Stump Mitchell to be running backs coach
However, according to Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix, Valley fans might recognize who Arians has reportedly picked to be the team's new running backs coach.
Hearing Stump Mitchell will be the Cards RB's coach, played for the St. Louis/ Phx Cards 81-89... HC @ Casa Grande HS, Morgan St. & Southern— Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki) February 3, 2013
As Jurecki noted, Mitchell played all nine of his NFL seasons with the Cardinals, both in St. Louis and Phoenix. During his two years at Sun Devil Stadium, Mitchell ran for 891 yards and four touchdowns.
Following his playing days, Mitchell went on to coach in the high school ranks, leading Casa Grande High School from 1993 to 1994.
He had his first taste of coaching in the NFL in 1999, when he served as the Seattle Seahawks running backs coach for eight years. Under Mitchell's tutelage, Seattle running back Shaun Alexander claimed the franchise's first MVP award in 2005.
In 2008, Mitchell served in the same role with Washington and the Redskins finished with the eighth-best rushing offense (130.9 yards per game) in the league.
Mitchell spent the last two-plus seasons as the head coach of Southern University. However after a rough start in 2012, he was reassigned to another position.
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.