Updated Feb 3, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Report: Former Cardinals RB Stump Mitchell to be running backs coach
However, according to Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix, Valley fans might recognize who Arians has reportedly picked to be the team's new running backs coach.
Hearing Stump Mitchell will be the Cards RB's coach, played for the St. Louis/ Phx Cards 81-89... HC @ Casa Grande HS, Morgan St. & Southern— Mike Jurecki (@mikejurecki) February 3, 2013
As Jurecki noted, Mitchell played all nine of his NFL seasons with the Cardinals, both in St. Louis and Phoenix. During his two years at Sun Devil Stadium, Mitchell ran for 891 yards and four touchdowns.
Following his playing days, Mitchell went on to coach in the high school ranks, leading Casa Grande High School from 1993 to 1994.
He had his first taste of coaching in the NFL in 1999, when he served as the Seattle Seahawks running backs coach for eight years. Under Mitchell's tutelage, Seattle running back Shaun Alexander claimed the franchise's first MVP award in 2005.
In 2008, Mitchell served in the same role with Washington and the Redskins finished with the eighth-best rushing offense (130.9 yards per game) in the league.
Mitchell spent the last two-plus seasons as the head coach of Southern University. However after a rough start in 2012, he was reassigned to another position.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?