Updated Feb 1, 2013 - 3:03 pm
Former Cardinals GM Graves: Kolb has ability, coaching staff has to adapt to him
Two years into the player's Arizona career, the results have been rather underwhelming.
Fifteen games (14 starts), completed 255-of-436 pass attempts, thrown for 3,124 yards and 17 touchdowns. Kolb has tossed 11 interceptions and fumbled 10 times.
Both of Kolb's seasons with the team have been cut short due to injury, and while it's fair to question whether or not he will ever play a full season, it doesn't take a genius to know better play from the offensive line would help the passer out.
As former Cardinals GM Rod Graves told CBS, keeping Kolb healthy is not the only thing new coach Bruce Arians can to do in order to get production from the QB.
"I think that Kevin is a guy that has ability, but the coaching staff has got to be willing to adapt to what he's capable of doing," Graves said. "I think he's more of a West Coast-style type of quarterback."
Graves said if Arians can get Kolb "to an area of comfort" the team may have its answer at the position, which begs the question of why the team would trade for a QB who didn't fit their system in the first place.
But that's in the past, and for now Kolb is not only on the roster, but might be the team's best option at the position.
And if Arians wants to win with him, the trick (besides keeping him healthy) may be as simple as creating a system around his players rather than trying to get his players to fit into his system.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.