Updated Feb 1, 2013 - 12:30 pm
Cardinals coach Arians: Kevin Kolb is good, have to protect him
While no one can be 100 percent certain, new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told ESPN's Mike Sando he believes Kevin Kolb, who would appear to be the favorite for the job if he remains on the roster, can be solid if kept upright.
I'm looking forward to meeting with Kevin and we'll cross that bridge as soon as we have to. I've seen enough film to know that he is good enough, but we have to protect him a lot better. When he is healthy, he has had some good moments. He has had some not-so-good moments. We have to protect him better, run the ball better.
Cardinals quarterbacks were sacked an NFL-high 58 times last season, with Kolb being taken down 27 times in just six games.
And that number doesn't include the number of times he was pressured or hit after releasing the ball, so suffice to say he took quite a beating before being lost for the season to injury.
Prior to going down in Week 6 against the Bills, Kolb was putting together a productive season, completing 59.6 percent of his passes for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns. He had only been picked off three times, and had a QB Rating of 86.1.
However, Kolb has played in just 15 of a possible 32 games over the last two seasons, making his durability a looming and very real question mark.
Which is why Arians knows, should he deem Kolb worthy of the starting job, protection up front is of the utmost importance.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.