Updated Jan 29, 2013 - 3:09 pm
NFL writer thinks Rashard Mendenhall could fit in Arizona
Those questions have to do with the running back position. Beanie Wells had an entirely forgettable 2012 season, running for only 234 yards on 88 carries while battling injuries throughout the campaign.
Second-year running back Ryan Williams suffered a shoulder injury early in the season and was limited to just 58 carries.
In other words, the Cardinals, who finished last in the league in rushing in 2012, need help at the position.
Evan Silva, an NFL editor for Rotoworld and writer for NBC Sports, tweeted out a possible solution earlier this week.
New #Cardinals HC Bruce Arians once compared Rashard Mendenhall to Edgerrin James. Arizona would be sensible landing spot for Mendenhall.— Evan Silva (@evansilva) January 28, 2013
Mendenhall has spent his entire five-year NFL career with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being a first round draft pick out of Illinois in 2008.
But he too has been plagued by injuries during his career. His rookie season was cut short by a shoulder injury suffered in a Week 4 game against the Baltimore Ravens.
Mendenhall also suffered a torn right ACL in the season finale against the Cleveland Browns in 2011 -- an injury that spilled over to 2012 and held him to just 182 yards rushing on 51 carries.
The 5-foot-10, 225-pound back also was suspended by the Steelers for not showing up to a game against the San Diego Chargers December 9.
Mendenhall is a free agent and isn't expected to re-sign with the Steelers. He's played under Arians, who was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator for the first four years of his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- John Brown is like…
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.