NFL writer thinks Rashard Mendenhall could fit in Arizona
Those questions have to do with the running back position. Beanie Wells had an entirely forgettable 2012 season, running for only 234 yards on 88 carries while battling injuries throughout the campaign.
Second-year running back Ryan Williams suffered a shoulder injury early in the season and was limited to just 58 carries.
In other words, the Cardinals, who finished last in the league in rushing in 2012, need help at the position.
Evan Silva, an NFL editor for Rotoworld and writer for NBC Sports, tweeted out a possible solution earlier this week.
New #Cardinals HC Bruce Arians once compared Rashard Mendenhall to Edgerrin James. Arizona would be sensible landing spot for Mendenhall.— Evan Silva (@evansilva) January 28, 2013
Mendenhall has spent his entire five-year NFL career with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being a first round draft pick out of Illinois in 2008.
But he too has been plagued by injuries during his career. His rookie season was cut short by a shoulder injury suffered in a Week 4 game against the Baltimore Ravens.
Mendenhall also suffered a torn right ACL in the season finale against the Cleveland Browns in 2011 -- an injury that spilled over to 2012 and held him to just 182 yards rushing on 51 carries.
The 5-foot-10, 225-pound back also was suspended by the Steelers for not showing up to a game against the San Diego Chargers December 9.
Mendenhall is a free agent and isn't expected to re-sign with the Steelers. He's played under Arians, who was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator for the first four years of his career.
Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.