Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 10:57 am
Fitzgerald speaks out on Cardinals, Pro Bowl
Patrick Peterson, Daryl Washington and Larry Fitzgerald, as expected, are facing questions in regards to their new head coach and their 2012 season gone bad.
"For me and my team, it wasn't a good year to be quite honest with you," Fitzgerald told NFL Network. "We're a long way from where we need to be, (and) I'm a long way from where I know I can be. So we're excited about the new season."
Fitzgerald also touched on the firing of the staff that worked with him over the last six seasons -- all of which ended in Pro Bowl appearances.
"It's a tough business," Fitzgerald said. "We lost some good coaches, but that's part of the business."
The hiring of new head coach Bruce Arians was a topic discussed with Fitzgerald for the first time on camera, as he has been on his annual vacationing rendezvous.
"I think he's a phenomenal coach," Fitzgerald said. "I got a chance to talk to him and met with him a couple times. He's really excited. He's offensive minded. Look at what he was able to accomplish in Indy with everything that transpired there that season, with a rookie quarterback (and) coach Pagano being sick. He had a lot of adversity to overcome and he was able to keep that team together."
With this being Fitzgerald's seventh Pro Bowl appearance -- most by any offensive Cardinal in franchise history --, he is taking this year's the most serious, as the Pro Bowl has been harshly criticized of the lackluster play by its athletes. The threat of the Pro Bowl leaving Hawaii -- or even cancelled -- is closer now than ever, and the players realize that.
"It's a privilege to be here among some of the great players in our league," Fitzgerald said. "We understand this is a big game, a big year. We want to keep it hear in Hawaii. We love it (here)."
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves